By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Police Investigate Drug OD By Infant



Oakdale Police are investigating the circumstances that sent a nine-month old female to the hospital due to an opiate overdose in the early morning hours on Thursday, Sept. 4. The infant is recovering in a Madera hospital.

At 1:14 a.m., police received a 9-1-1 call from the grandparents of the infant on Lorna Court stating that the baby was unresponsive. Police arrived at the home and performed CPR and revived the child until the arrival of medics who transported her to Oak Valley Hospital.

At the hospital, medical personnel determined the baby had overdosed from an unknown opiate in her system and police initiated an investigation.

According to Oakdale Police Lieutenant Keri Redd, who was called out on the night of the incident, the child has been living with her paternal grandparents for the last two months when the parents moved out of state.

That night, the grandmother went to check on the child who appeared to be gasping and the grandmother couldn’t revive her.

Redd said the grandparents, in their 40s, are cooperating in the investigation and Child Protective Services has been notified.

The investigation showed no signs of foul play but toxicology results performed showed opiates in the baby’s system. There were no signs of any “build-up” as if it was given in a bottle or had been given over time, Redd added.

According to police, both grandparents had prescription medications at the home, one for oxycodone, due to injuries they were receiving treatment for from licensed physicians.

“All outward signs at this time appear it was an accident,” Redd said, who said the baby has the ability to crawl around the house. “The investigation is still ongoing.”

The baby was later transferred to Children’s Hospital in Madera for care.

“She was crying and breathing fine when I was there,” said Redd. “That’s a good sign.”