The man wanted for the Saturday morning shooting of a 24-year-old Oakdale man that resulted in a 12-hour SWAT action closing a portion of East H Street was arrested Tuesday afternoon, Sept. 30.
Jose Villegas, 25, of Oakdale, was identified as the suspect in the shooting and turned himself in at the Modesto Police Department according to Oakdale Police Chief Lester Jenkins.
Jenkins said the surrender was brokered through Villegas’s attorney and the Modesto Police Department.
On Saturday, Sept. 27, shortly after midnight, Oakdale Police were summoned to the 600 block of East F Street regarding reports of shots fired near the 7-11 convenience store. When officers arrived they discovered a man had been shot in the leg.
Witnesses reported the man, who was part of a group, had been in a confrontation with a man in a white SUV and the man shot at the group.
Later an officer spotted a white SUV near the scene when it pulled into an East H Street address.
The driver fled into the residence and a 12-hour police action ensued with streets blocked off, Stanislaus County Sheriff’s SWAT called out, and eventually nearby homes evacuated.
During the incident, investigators named Villegas as the shooter.
When SWAT finally made entry into the home around 10:30 that morning, they discovered Villegas had fled.
A search of the residence revealed several firearms including a .45 caliber pistol and two assault rifles.
“We found some evidence that’s possibly incriminating,” said Detective Bill Carter about the search of the residence and vehicle at the scene.
At the shooting scene .45 shell casings were recovered by police.
The victim of the shooting suffered non- life-threatening injuries and was released from Doctor’s Medical Center in Modesto the same date as the incident.
Villegas is being held at Stanislaus County Jail for attempted murder and brandishing a firearm charges. His bail is $500,000.