By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Tennis Postseason Play Begins For Mustangs

The Oakdale High School boys tennis team is coming off its most successful regular season in over 20 years. Oakdale completed the regular season with just two losses in Valley Oak League action. This past week Oakdale traveled to Kimball for the Valley Oak League Singles and Doubles tournaments.

On Tuesday, April 23 a few of Oakdale’s singles made the trip. In the first round Caleb Poling defeated Weston Ranch’s Branden Lee 8-4. Poling’s day would come to an end in the next round where he lost to Kyle Banks of Sierra 8-2. Frankie Dutra earned a bye in the first round and won in the second round 8-4 over Manteca’s Harshawn Singh. Liam Peters also drew a first round bye and had success in round two as he defeated Nic Pio of Manteca 8-0. Both Dutra and Peters would fall in the quarterfinals. Dutra lost a hard battle to Kimball’s Lance Lee 6-0, 7-6. Peters’ day came to end when he lost to Justin Traina of Central Catholic in a three-set match.

In doubles action on Thursday, April 25, Teo Diaz and Shivam Mistry suffered a first round exit 9-7 against East Union’s Trinidad Solarious and Eddie Chan. Caleb Poling and Zach Nielson had a bye in the first round and then fell to Central Catholic’s Evan Corsiglia and Robert Wagner 8-5. Also drawing a bye in the first round was Liam Peters and Frankie Dutra. The duo then defeated Everette Singh and Carlos D’Souza of East Union 8-4. Peters and Dutra ultimately finished fourth place overall as a team after they lost to Wagner and Corsiglia of Central Catholic 1-6, 6-1, 6-1.

“Our guys did what we always do, they left it all out on the court,” said head coach Grant Miller. “You either win or go down fighting like a man.”

Monday, April 29 the boys hosted Los Banos in the first round of the Sac-Joaquin Section Tennis Boys Division IV Championship. The Mustangs went in as the three seed in the eight team tournament. The match was held following The Leader’s press time.