By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Storm Window Stays Wide Open For Region
A series of wet winter storms hit the region over the past week, causing a bit of flooding in some traditionally poor drainage areas in Oakdale and forcing a slowdown of traffic along the highway. With more than an inch of rain during the week, and more stormy weather in the forecast, the Central Valley is nonetheless welcoming the impact of El Nino. Virginia Still/The Leader


With more than an inch of rain falling on the Oakdale area over the past several days and the region now over eight inches of rain for the season so far, forecasters are predicting another wet week.

There isn’t a break in the foreseeable future, as the long range forecast through next Tuesday calls for a chance of rain – sometimes measurable rainfall – every day.

Today, Wednesday, calls for an 80 percent chance of rain with a slight accumulation and a 50 percent chance on Thursday. A slight chance of showers persists for Friday, with a larger, more intense storm poised to strike on Saturday, with nearly a half-inch of rainfall predicted. Sunday features a 20 percent chance of rain, Monday brings an 80 percent chance of wet weather and Tuesday, Jan. 19 also includes rain in the extended forecast.

Forecasters note that there could be more than another inch accumulating from this next series of storms and the precipitation remains a welcome effect of the El Nino weather pattern that seems to have settled in over the Central Valley this winter.