By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
One Injured, One Deceased In Oakdale Shooting


The identity of the shooter - who shot and injured a woman and later turned the gun on himself early Wednesday morning in Oakdale - has been released.

The suspect, who police said died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, was identified Wednesday afternoon as Benjamin King, 41, of Oakdale.

Magnolia Elementary School was placed on lockdown early this morning for roughly an hour as Oakdale Police investigated the shooting near the campus.

According to police reports, the incident began when they responded to the 500 block of Laurel Avenue at about 1 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 12 for a report of gunshots.

Authorities said a woman, who had been shot, was found in that area with gunshot wounds to her legs and pelvis. The 41-year-old female, who was King's girlfriend, was taken to an area hospital for treatment.

The investigation revealed the woman had gotten into a fight with King at a nearby home and, when he pulled a gun, she jumped out a window to escape. She was struck by gunfire as she fled, running to a neighbor’s home for assistance.

A perimeter was set up around the suspect’s home on West A Street, said authorities, between California and Laurel avenues, while negotiators with the Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department were called in to assist. The area of B Street and Eucalyptus Avenue was also blocked off and Magnolia Elementary School, in the 700 block of Magnolia, was put into lockdown.

Authorities made multiple attempts to make contact with King throughout the early morning hours. Officials said he had barricaded himself inside the home, and did not respond to officers on scene.

The lockdown order at Magnolia went into effect shortly after 8 a.m. and lasted roughly an hour, as authorities were able to obtain a search and arrest warrant for King's home. A Sheriff’s Department drone was utilized to look inside the home and authorities said the suspecy was determined to be deceased, having died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Oakdale officers remained on scene for further investigation.

“We appreciate the cooperation with Oakdale Police Department,” the Oakdale Joint Unified School District indicated in a statement on its website regarding the incident. “Students and staff are to be commended for their quick response to insure everyone’s safety.”