By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
School, Community Sports Curtailed By Coronavirus

The pandemic known as COVID-19, coronavirus, has forced the cancellation and/or postponement of several sporting events in and for the community.

On Friday, March 13 it was announced that Oakdale High School spring sports would be postponed through the remainder of March. However, with the announcement on Sunday of the pending closure of all Stanislaus County schools, effective March 19, a date for the spring sports schedule to resume is unknown at this time.

The school closure, with a reopening date to be set by each individual district, will affect all Oakdale High School spring sports and even some community sports. The Friday announcement affected track, baseball, swimming and softball, as all of those sports were scheduled to play and compete on Friday and over the weekend.

“We are just trying to make sense of it all and stay in compliance,” said Oakdale High School Principal Mike Moore.

The postponement means it will take out a large portion of the season for all six Mustang spring sports: golf, tennis, track and field, baseball, swimming and softball.

The response to the coronavirus has not only impacted junior high and high school sports but it has also affected many of the Oakdale community sports. On Saturday, March 14 the long anticipated return of Mixed Martial Arts was due at Chicken Ranch Casino for Hoplite Fight Productions: Resurrection. The fight was the first one scheduled since 2014 at the casino but was canceled due to attendance exceeding 250 people, which was one of the guidelines shown in the Stanislaus County Health Services Agency information issued Friday morning.

“It was a mutual decision to stop the event, once the statement from SCHSA was announced. We just want to keep our fighters and fans as safe as possible,” said Lori Theofanopoulos.

Oakdale Baseball Softball Association was scheduled to hold Opening Day on March 21 but is currently hoping to begin their season on April 4. This date is also subject to change and more details about OBSA will unfold throughout the week.

“On Friday we discussed having it on April 4 but with the new developments from the governor we are not sure as of this moment. We will try and get everything going as soon as possible but we also want to keep the kids, parents, coaches and staff safe as well,” said OBSA president David Jablonski.

The Boxing Development Center also took a hit when their USA Boxing fighters were notified that all events were postponed until May.