By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Stabbing Leads To Arrest
Placeholder Image

Oakdale Police arrested a man on suspicion of attempted murder on Sunday, Jan. 27 after responding to the Quik Stop Market on East F Street regarding a call at 4:22 a.m. of a suspicious male dressed in camouflage clothing and carrying a knife.

Oakdale Police Sergeant Joe Johnson said police were originally sent to the Jack-In-The Box restaurant near Quik Stop but received a call from the clerk at the market to report a customer was being stabbed by someone with the same description.

When officers arrived at the 24-hour convenience store, they located Jose Carlos Ibarra, 24, of Oakdale in the parking lot wearing camouflage fatigues and carrying a bloodied locking-blade knife. Officers ordered Ibarra, who was also wearing a skeleton mask, at gunpoint to drop the knife and he complied.

Officers at the scene found a 28-year-old man at the store bleeding who told them he had been stabbed twice by the suspect. The victim identified Ibarra as the stabber.

The victim was treated at the scene by paramedics for two stab wounds to his shoulder. His wounds were classified as “non-life threatening” and did not require ambulance transport to a hospital.

Police stated the two involved parties are cousins and the stabbing stemmed from a family fight.

According to police report statements from both parties, the subjects originally met at the Jack-In-The-Box with a third person to go to a party in Riverbank. The victim was driving his pick-up truck to provide the transportation. In the truck, police said, Ibarra accused his cousin of raping his sister years ago and then went after him with the knife.

The victim ran into the store and tried to hold the doors shut, hoping to prevent Ibarra from entering. Ibarra was able to stab the victim when trying to force the doors open.

“The suspect was making remarks about wanting to kill the victim when he was stabbing him,” Johnson said. “He told officers on the scene that he wanted to cut his cousin’s head off.”

Police booked Ibarra at Stanislaus County Jail for attempted murder where he is being held on $500,000 bail.